Cold Weather Paddleboarding Essentials
Tarnna Simpers, our NO&YO Pac North-West ambassador, spends as much time in the water as her one-year old and her busy life allow. She says that water makes her free and so it’s no surprise that she paddleboards even in the freezing temperatures. Here are some of her cold weather paddleboarding essentials in order to get away from it all while staying warm, even if there is steam coming out of her mouth. [caption id="attachment_10124" align="aligncenter" width="940"] Photo curtesy of Tarnna Simpers[/caption] by Tarnna Simpers, NO&YO Ambassador It's pretty awesome to live in the Pacific North West but sometimes in the summer finding a quiet place to paddle can be a challenge on the main river. Quiet calm places are even harder once the wind blows in. Winter is where it's at - but to paddle in winter takes some extra gear and prep. [caption id="attachment_10122" align="aligncenter" width="640"] Photo curtesy of Tarnna Simpers[/caption]
- Booties-The real essential to winter paddling. You may not need a wetsuit, or even gloves depending on the weather, but booties are key to having an enjoyable winter paddle.
- PFD-Personal Flotation Device. Always.
- Dry bag-I use this year around to keep all of my goodies dry and my cell phone safe. I always keep my cell on me because I do not want to get stuck in cold water.
- Camera-It's really great to live in the moment and not feel like you have pull out a camera for everything. But just in case you do want to document everything, bring it along.
- Dry sweatshirt-Just in case you take a spill and you didn't wear your wetsuit, it's nice to have something to throw in to keep you warm. Keep this in your dry bag. My go-to is my NO&YO Heather Blue hoodie.
- Snacks & Water- Life is all about food. Pomegranate & a Dog River energy bar do the trick in case of blood-sugar dive.
- Phone- Especially in the winter I take my phone. It could fall in the river, but if I get stuck I'd like a phone call.
- Thermos-Keep in the car for after the paddle. Tea, Miso, Coffee.
- Headband/beanie- Keep your head warm and the rest of you stays warm too.
Leave a comment
Your Email Address Will Not Be Published. Required Fields Are Marked *